Friday, September 26, 2008

Windows of the World




Windows of the World is a series of paintings I began while traveling through Europe.  Looking out of my hotel window in Venice,  it created a frame around the  window across the narrow canal.  It was a painting already composed.  I knew I had to capture this scene.  Walking the streets of Venice, all I could do was look up at the windows, each one was a painting.  The windows captured the essence of the place.  

When I returned home, I decided on how to interpret my vision as a watercolor painting.  Working small, so the viewer would at a glance see only the windows, was important.  The paper I chose became an intricate part of the paining.  The paintings are done on full size papers which measure 6"x8" and 9"x12".  The small scale allows the viewer to go directly into the window.  

The papers are made in small villages throughout India and the process is stamping the pulp with their feet, screening it by hand and press it with a hand press.  The results are unique, each sheet has its own character, parts of the paper are thicker than others, the deckle edges (there are 4) are often uneven.  When framing these pieces I float the painting so the edges are visible.
The paper is made with three different surfaces, a rough, cold pressed and smooth, which I matched to the window.  The paintings develop a dimensional characteristic, sometimes looking like sculptures.

Although the sizes of the paintings are small, the time needed to work the windows is extensive. Details are important requiring a great deal of observation and drawing.

The paper is 300lb. weight, but has a soft surface and erasing is not tolerated.

The window paintings are a favorite of collectors and designers.  What you see on my web site angeladaleo.com are just a few from the hundreds I have painted over the years from all parts of the world which I have traveled.  I continually add more to this popular series.

No comments: