Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Grapes by Angela D'Aleo





Visiting the vineyards in Tuscany, California and the vineyards of Long Island inspired these paintings of grapes. The plump mature grapes sparkling in the autumn light come alive awaiting he harvest.  They seem to dance on the vines with an almost stained glass glow, which I wanted to capture in my paintings.  

These paintings had to be portraits of grapes, depicting a constant sense of movement, which would convey a happy feeling when viewed.  Using a curvilinear motif helps me to accomplish this.  I added playful calligraphic stroking, suggesting the vines, adds a rhythm and directional path for the viewer to follow

By working on a smooth surface paper, the colors stay vibrant.  To further intensify the colors, I use complimentary colors of violets and yellows, blues and oranges.

The dark bark weaving through the painting offers a conflict of a neutral color and a strong straight element to complete the composition.

I have "Grapes" hanging in my kitchen where it is in constant view and I always find myself getting lost in the painting, enjoying every moment.

Check out my web site at www.angeladaleo.com for more paintings.  

Additional information on this painting contact me @ adaleo@optonline.net

No comments: